The 10 Most Common Hiking Mistakes
We almost always enjoy a refreshing stroll along some idyllic path that can lead to some exciting adventures. Here are 10 quick tips on mistakes to avoid before heading out that can make for a more relaxing hike:
1. Not staying hydrated. Be certain to drink and take plenty of water and other liquids.
2. Take a fully charged cell phone in case of emergency.
3. Avoid losing track of time by wearing a reliable watch with a new battery installed.
4. Failing to dress for the appropriate season and weather.
5. Not being familiar with surroundings or new areas. Research ahead of time and take a map and compass.
6. Wandering off the beaten path is a definite no. Stay on common tread paths for an easy find if lost.
7. Do not go on dangerous terrain unless you are experienced or have an experience person with you.
8. Never go alone. There is safety in numbers.
9. Do not wear flip flops for long walks. Wear the right footwear for the right terrain.
10. Forgetting where you are at. Always, always remember some landmarks in case you are lost.
Hopefully being aware of these 10 common mistakes can help avoid an unwanted event. Happy hiking!